I just came across this article over at cbc.ca, "Lobster, the new bologna: campaign", and i have to call bullshit. Not just any bullshit, "Hot and Smokey Cheddar-Ranch Bullshit, now with grill marks" Lobster never has been, and never will be, anything like bologna. In terms of cost and availability, there is no viable grounds for comparison. The only area in which there are parallels, is popular perception.
If lobster were really cheaper than bologna, therein lies the potential to bring about a sea change in the American palette. Traditional uses for Bologna would be usurped, and replaced by this once classy dish.
- Howard Stern would cease to throw bologna at strippers asses, and instead use lobster.
- Skippers would start serving popcorn lobster bites.
- The poor kids would be trading their lobster bisque for Lunchables.
- Turducken would be upgraded (or downgraded) to Lobturducken
- Instead of wrapping greasy foods in bacon, internet superhero's would wrap greasy food in bacon, and then stuff them in a lobster.